This program is designed to provide a safe and enjoyable introduction to dinghy sailing for primary school aged kids (7-12 years).
Kids sail in pairs in small boats called Ozi Opti’s. They learn the basics of boat handling, and maneuvering, practice safety drills and how to recover from a capsize. All exercises are incorporated into games so the kids are unaware they are in a lesson, they are just having fun. It’s a great way to meet new friends while mucking about on the water.
Our Tackers Courses are priced between $270 and $385pp and we do offer a member discount. If you would like to be notified when course dates are confirmed please email [email protected]
- Steered with tiller extension under towing paddling power
- The ability to tie a figure 8 knot, round twice and two half hitches
- Learnt and practiced how to perform the tack / ‘push turn’
- Learnt and demonstrated how to gybe / ‘pull turn’
- Comfortably reached around a figure of 8 course using both tacking and gybing
- Sailing with the tiller extension (The Microphone Technique!)
- Learnt to sail upwind and downwind by following the rescue boat
Rules & Safety
- Swim 50 meters in a PFD
- Participated in a capsize
- Participated in rescue drills
- Realised the most important rule: Always avoid collisions!
- Understanding of Port / Starboard Right of way
Sailing Theory & Background
- Identified the ‘no go zone’ and the effects it has on your sailing
- A background in safety knowledge of tides and currents
- Basic wind awareness – wind direction and strength
- Demonstrated respect and care of boats