This program is designed to provide a safe and enjoyable introduction to dinghy sailing for primary school aged kids.
Kids sail in pairs in small boats called Ozi Opti’s. They learn the basics of boat handling, and maneuvering, practice safety drills and how to recover from a capsize. All exercises are incorporated into games so the kids are unaware they are in a lesson, they are just having fun. It’s a great way to meet new friends while mucking about on the water.
- Steered with tiller extension under towing paddling power
- The ability to tie a figure 8 knot, round twice and two half hitches
- Learnt and practiced how to perform the tack / ‘push turn’
- Learnt and demonstrated how to gybe / ‘pull turn’
- Comfortably reached around a figure of 8 course using both tacking and gybing
- Sailing with the tiller extension (The Microphone Technique!)
- Learnt to sail upwind and downwind by following the rescue boat
Rules & Safety
- Swim 50 meters in a PFD
- Participated in a capsize
- Participated in rescue drills
- Realised the most important rule: Always avoid collisions!
- Understanding of Port / Starboard Right of way
Sailing Theory & Background
- Identified the ‘no go zone’ and the effects it has on your sailing
- A background in safety knowledge of tides and currents
- Basic wind awareness – wind direction and strength
- Demonstrated respect and care of boats