INTRODUCTION TO MEMBERSHIP
Like all sporting clubs, there are fees associated with regular usage of that facility and enjoying the services it provides. At SYC we make it easy and affordable for potential new members to try out sailing and our facilities without having to immediately subscribe to annual membership.
The Club provides a ‘Day Pass Membership’ at a minimal cost. This enables you to sail at the Club and to then use the clubhouse facilities post-race. The ‘Day Pass Membership’ allows you to do this up to 12 times before you need to subscribe to annual membership. What’s even better, any money you spend on the Day Pass Membership will reduce your nomination fee when you do switch over to annual membership.
Day Pass Membership at SYC works like this;
- The first 6 day passes cost $15 per sail (Thursday Twilight Sailing – No Charge)
- The following 6 day passes cost $35 per sail
Once you have sailed 12 times, you then need to become an annual member. The $300 you have paid to date then equates to the ‘Crew’ membership nomination fee – so effectively when you upgrade to annual membership, you pay the subscription only and not the nomination fee.
The benefits of Day Pass Membership
- You comply with SYC Club Policy
- Yachting Australia Personal Accident Insurance for the day
- YA number for the day (necessary for all who race)
- Liquor licence compliance – the Day Pass card is accepted as the ‘sign in’ to the bar
- Members prices in the bar
- Facility access (showers etc.)
- Thursday Twilight Sailing – No Charge
- Kindred Club Members* – Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday Sailing: $15 per day pass, no limits
It is mandatory that all who sail out of SYC have either a Day Pass Membership or are an annual member. Day Pass Memberships are available from the Boating Office on race day – it’s quick, easy and more affordable than participating in just about any other sport.
As the weekends or a couple of days off come around or the days get warmer and longer again, it’s a great time to get out and make the most out of your boating. For your time and convenience, download a Day Pass Membership Application form. Any non-member can fill it out to pre-register, simply return it to the office any time and we will have everything ready for your race day when you all arrive!
* The following Clubs are defined by SYC as kindred:
- Royal Brighton Yacht Club
- Royal Melbourne Yacht Squadron
- Royal Yacht Club of Victoria
- Royal Geelong Yacht Club
- Hobson’s Bay Yacht Club
- Blairgowrie Yacht Squadron
- Sorrento Sailing Couta Boat Club
- Mornington Yacht Club
- Royal Victorian Motor Yacht Club
- Beaumaris Motor Yacht Squadron
- Mordialloc Motor Yacht Club
- Queenscliff Cruising Yacht Club
Further details and process for issuing Day Pass Membership is laid out in the Sandringham Yacht Club By-Laws and the Sandringham Yacht Club Constitution.