An introduction to the basics of sailing on a small keelboat, including boat handling, safety and sailing theory.
- 6 hour One Day course (1 x 6 hr day) or
- 12 hour Two Day course (2 x 6 hr days)
A makeup date is also scheduled in the event of bad weather.
Basic sailing and boat handling skills and knowledge.
Who should do this course?
Anyone wanting to learn the basic fundamentals of sailing on a small keelboat.
1. Safety Equipment, clothing and safe practices
- Is aware of hazards on board a boat and understands how to avoid them.
- Understands the correct use of safety equipment on board.
- Understands the importance of the correct fitting and wearing of personal flotation devices.
- Understands the importance of appropriate clothing and footwear.
2. The Boat
- Has basic knowledge of sailing terms, can identify parts of a boat, rigging and sails.
- Can bend on, hoist, lower and stow sails.
- Can tie the following knots: figure of eight, bowline, round turn and two half hitches.
- Has basic knowledge of the use of sheets, halyards, winches, clutches, mooring lines and cleats.
- Can coil and stow a rope.
4. Sailing Skills
- Understands the theory and basic principles of sailing including tacking and gybing.
- Has basic wind awareness.
- Can steer a boat on all points of sail under supervision.
- Can trim sails on all points of sail.
5. Man Overboard
- Understands the correct action to be taken to recover a MOB.
6. Rules of the Road
- Has awareness of the basic rules of the road.
- Can maintain continuous lookout.