15 November 2019
SYC Welcomes the Laser Summer of 2020
SYC is delighted and really excited to be hosting the following Laser regattas this Summer at SYC;
- Victorian State Championships 23 & 24 November 2019 (up to 100 entries)
- Australian National Laser Championship 1 – 8 January 2020 (up to 300 entries across the three Laser classes, with male and female competitors of all ages)
- Sail Melbourne Laser Oceania 17 – 21 January 2020 (up to 150 entries)
- ILCA Standard Men’s World Championship 9 – 16 February 2020 (up to 160 world class male sailors are expected for this event, all aspirants for the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games)
- ILCA Radial Women’s and Men’s World Championships 19 – 26 February 2020 (up to 140 female & 140 male sailors including a host of local talent)
In the lead up to, and during the regatta, SYC is on show to a global audience. As with all events, they provide us with an opportunity to stage and host these regattas in a world class manner. In order to do so we will need the full support of all SYC stakeholders. The State Champs next week will provide us with a dry run in the lead up to the main events. We expect around 100 boats for this event with many interstate competitors arriving including the Australian Team.
Please be advised of the following information related to the regatta, the competitors, race management and support teams and the SYC facilities;
- Competitors – All competitors, their support teams and race management receive Honorary membership at SYC. This is a long held tradition and provides a warm welcome to our guests. You may have noticed some of the international teams including team USA and Germany are already onsite!
- Dress Regulations in the Clubhouse & Members’ Bar – We relax the dress regulations during the regattas e.g. the wearing of sailing gear and thongs are allowed.
- SYC Clubhouse & Facilities – A number of rooms and areas of the Club are dedicated to the delivery of the regatta e.g. regatta office, jury & media.
- The Car Park & Treybit Reserve – The members car park will operate as per normal. It will however be at a reduced capacity as we will be housing boats therein. In a bid to compensate for the reduced capacity and to assist with the extra demand on car parking, Treybit Reserve (Jetty Rd) will be open during the regatta periods. Treybit Reserve is open to all Members and those involved with the event.
Boat Owners – In the lead up to, and during the January & February regatta periods the trailer sailors & hardstand boats will be relocated to other areas including the southern end of the main car park. We will place your vessel in the best possible manner and we will provide assistance with access and launching where we can. Paul Gascoigne will be your point of contact and he can be contacted on 0407829851.
Additionally throughout the marina, we will be providing berthing for a large number of regatta related vessels – race management, coach, support team and spectator vessels. Things will be very tight and again we ask that you be accommodating & understanding.
Launch Ramp – We ask launch ramp users to allow extra time to launch and retrieve boats during the regattas. Volunteer‘s looking after the launch ramp during the peak times will be able to assist you. Due to the numbers of competitors, it might be wise to avoid the peak launching and retrieval times.
Off The Beach – will be a busy area of the Club. Existing tenants if you are not utilising your boat during this period, we ask that you consider taking it home. The lawn area will be used to store lasers in use for the regattas. Boats in racking will not be affected and boats normally stored on the lawn will be relocated onsite. The OTB community will receive direct communication about any impact to our normal programs. If you think you can assist us, then please reach out as we will need all the help we can get.
Clubhouse Northern Podium – One of the outstanding features of the clubhouse is our ability to offer a great spectacle of the on water action from the Northern podium. We hope to see a large number of visitors and Members viewing the regattas. We hope you will join in, or enjoy viewing these activities, and also welcome the many competitors who will be coming from far and wide to participate in the Laser regattas. We thank you in advance for your co-operation as the Club prepares to stage these events successfully and in a welcoming manner.
We are also in the process of making arrangements for on-water viewing of the regattas. The calibre of the fleets will be world class with many battling it out in the lead up to the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
For further information on the event, visit www.syc.com.au or download the event app Laser2020.
There are several local accommodation options. We have listed 4 different providers below ranging in distance of 800m – 5km from SYC.
All are easily accessible, and all are currently indicating they have availability. Due to the time of year, other local events, all providers are expecting to be fully occupied, so it may be prudent to book asap. To make a booking we suggest you either call direct or google and use their direct or booking agency options.
- Quest Brighton on the Bay – located 5km from SYC on Beach Rd. Call (03) 9591 5000
- Sandy Hill Serviced Apartments – located 2.9km from SYC on Bay Rd. Call (03) 8691 3400
- Sandringham Hotel – located 800m from SYC on Beach Rd. Call (03) 9598 7255
- The Brighton Savoy – located 4km from SYC on Beach Rd. Call (03) 9592 8233
We also recommend looking at air bnb’s and hotel booking websites such as wotif and stayz.