Congratulations Rob Ware on being awarded the Lifetime Achievement Award at the Victorian Sailing Awards on Friday 15 September.
With a lifetime of dedicated involvement, Rob Ware stands as a cornerstone of the sailing community, from his decades of racing and officiating to his extensive contributions in mentoring, committee work, and the development of young sailors and sailing programs.
Here’s just a snippet of some of the reasons why Rob was such a deserving recipient of this award:
- Member of Sandringham Yacht Club since 1959 with 64 years of continuous membership.
- Sailed in International Cadets for around 6 years in club racing at SYC as well as at various State and National events.
- First short ocean races were as a 16 year old.
- Member of the Junior Committee including Junior Captain for 2 years.
- Sailed in International Diamond keelboats in club racing at SYC and in State events at other Victorian clubs for around 4 years.
- Sailed in various keelboats at SYC.
- Sailed in the first Melbourne to Hobart West Coaster in 1973 with Bill Croft on Tawarrii II.
- In addition, sailed in various ocean races including 4 Sydney/Hobart’s, 3 Sydney/Coffs, 6 Melbourne/Devonport, 1 Melbourne/Burnie, 1 Melbourne/Stanley and 1 Mooloolaba/Airlie Beach.
- Sailed at SYC and local inter-club events in various keelboats with Paul Jacka and others for more than 40 years.
- Brought sons aged 4 and 6 to learn to sail at SYC and was immediately coopted into teaching Junior members sailing.
- Member of the OTB Committee for 6 years including Chairman for 2 years.
- OTB Race Official for around 5 years prior to official qualifications being established by Australian Sailing.
- Involved in the Club’s purchase of the 6 Beneteau keelboats for SYC.
- Promoted Youth Development, Women In Sailing and Adult Learn-to-Sail utilising the Beneteau fleet.
- Member Sail Committee for 10 years.
- Club Captain Sail 2002 – 2003.
- In 2002 represented SYC on the Yachting Victoria Race Officials Committee and am still involved, as a member, and then Chairman, of the Judges Cub Committee.
- Race management advisor to the 2003 Melbourne to Osaka organising committee.
- Member of the Stage 1 Facilities Master Plan Committee 2003 comprising the boat yard, the Concessions Building and the Ken King Centre.
- Member SYC House Committee some years ago.
- Victorian Race Officials Committee.
- Australian Sailing Race Officials Committee.
- State Race Officer.
- Match Racing and Teams Racing Umpire.
- National Judge 2002 – 2006 and 2022 onwards.
- International Judge 2006 – 2021
- Juries and/or Umpire teams for multiple State or National regattas over 20 years.
Well done Rob, an incredibly deserving award!