Tackers Intro is the first session of a Tackers 1 course and is designed to give kids and their parents a taste of the program. It is designed to provide a safe and enjoyable introduction to dinghy sailing for primary school aged kids.
Tackers Intro sessions are usually run with or just before a Tackers 1 course and participants are encouraged to continue on with the Tackers 1 course.
Kids sail in pairs in small boats called Ozi Opti’s. They learn the basics of boat handling, and maneuvering, practice safety drills and how to recover from a capsize. All exercises are incorporated into games so the kids are unaware they are in a lesson, they are just having fun. It’s a great way to meet new friends while mucking about on the water.
Sailors Competencies for tackers 1
When I’m on the water I can……
- Leave and return back to the beach
- Be towed around behind a rescue boat
- Avoid other boats
- Recognise the ‘no go zone’
- Reach around a figure of 8 course
- Right a capsized boat
- Recover my crew in a ‘man over board’ situation
- Stop my boat and get it going again
- Swim 25 meters in a PFD
And when I’m on shore I can……
- Dress for the conditions including the right PFD, sunscreen, hat and footwear
- Name the main parts of my boat
- Tie a ‘figure of 8’ knot
- Point to where the wind is coming from
- Respect the boats that I’m using