The 2022 Queen’s Birthday Honours were announced on Monday of this week. The honours list recognises and awards Australians for meritorious, distinguished and conspicuous service. On behalf of Sandringham Yacht Club we extend our congratulations to our very own Kevin Wood AM.
SYC Life Member and Past Commodore Kevin was bestowed with the very prestigious Member (AM) in the General Division of the Order of Australia for significant service to recreational sailing.
Kevin’s contribution to SYC and recreational sailing in general is outlined below and it makes for exceptional reading.
Sandringham Yacht Club
- Commodore, 1999-2002
- Vice Commodore, c1996-1999.
- Member, Sail Committee, 1995.
- Past Member, Chelsea Yacht Club, Changi Keel Boat Squadron and Royal Brighton Yacht Club.
- Sailing competitor, ongoing.
- Life Member, since 2004.
- Member, since 1984.
World Sailing (formerly the International Sailing Federation)
- Yachting Australia Delegate, and Regional Games Committee Member, 2000-2008.
- Championship Director, World Sailing Championships, Port Phillip, 1998-1999.
- Chair, Sail Melbourne International Regatta, 2000-2007, and Committee Member, 1998-2007.
- Director of Finance, Tasaki Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race Committee, 2007, and Member, 2003.
- Deputy Chairman, Volvo around the World Ocean Race Melbourne Stopover
- Committee, 2004-2006, and Chairman, Finance and Governance Committee, 2005-2006.
- Involved in Initiating, Inaugural Commonwealth Sailing Championships, 2003.
- Helped establish, Port Phillip Corporate Challenge Yacht Race, 1995.
- Founding Chairman, Melbourne Boat Week.
- Established, Victorian Youth Match Racing Championship.
Hospitality and Tourism Industry
- Controlling Share Holder, and Non-Executive Director, Comcater Pty Limited, current, Past Chair and Managing Director, and Co-founder, 1979.
- President, National Association of Foodservice Equipment Suppliers, 2.5 terms, Board Member, over 20 years, and Founding Member.
- Senior Vice President, Catering Institute of Australia, 1990s, and President, Catering Institute of Victoria, 1980s.
- Consultant, and Honorary Member, Institute of Hospitality in Healthcare, since 1980s, and Fellow, since 1997.
- Member, Victorian Hospitality and Tourism Board, late 1990s.
- The Alfred Foundation, current.
- Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre, Wesley Mission, Christina Noble – Underprivileged Children’s Funding, and R U OK.
- Deputy Chair, Central Coastal Board, 1999-2001.
- Member, Sponsorship Committee, Melbourne International Festival of the Arts, five years.
Awards and recognition include:
- Inaugural recipient, perpetual Kevin Wood Contribution Award, Yachting Victoria, recognition of the contribution to the conduct of the Sail Melbourne International Regatta and the ISAF Sailing World Cup, 2014.
- Member, Foodservice Suppliers Association of Australia Hall of Fame, 2012.
- Lifetime Achievement Award, Yachting Australia, 2010, and Services to Yachting Award, 2003.
- Sail Melbourne Life Achievement Award, Yachting Victoria, 2009, and Services to Yachting Award, 2006 and 2000.
- Doctorate of Foodservice, North American Association of Food Equipment Manufacturers, 1991.
On behalf of all at SYC we extend our congratulations to Kevin for this very well-deserved honour.